I use to love summer! It was my favorite season of all. Of course, I was out of school, but I could also run around in my flip flops ad bathing suit. No, seriously, I would trim the hedges in my bathing suit. I could sleep late, stay up late, and lay in the sun for hours. I finally got to thaw after months of cold weather, and did everything outside. Then, all that changed. I became I mom. Now, I hate summer with a passion. I wish we could go from spring straight to fall. Don't get me wrong. There are perks like beach trips, crock pot meals, and less laundry, but I would give it all back. Here is why.
1. Sock Lines
Have you ever tried to chase a tricycler down a hill and stop him before he hits a tree in flip flops? You won't make it. He will crash every time. The same is true for little boys running toward the road and catching runaway balls before they go down the storm drain. So, now I wear sneakers when we play outside. I sport the worst tan line ever. Same is true for trying to play with little boys in a bathing suit. Not very practical, so my running shorts have left the tops of my legs as white as snow. Making me wish for winter all the more :)
2. Early Mornings
I still get my late nights. The sun doesn't go down until after 9 and neither do the boys. However, they also wake up with the sun. I love my boys, but the early bird gets really cranky around 3 in the afternoon. That also gives me like 3 seconds to time before I go to bed to . . . oh, I don't know . . . take a shower!
3. It Is Hot!
This is obvious, I know. The summer is hot, but I have never felt hot like being pregnant in the summer hot. I can't get enough water. I sweat from morning until night. I have never been so thankful for air conditioning! We go out to play and I am ready to go in after five minutes. However, little boys are oblivious to the sun baking their skin. So, I endure . . . and by the time it is bearable I have to head inside to make dinner.
4. Pests
Ants, ants, ants! Enough said. Have you ever tried to watch a toddler play in the grass and guard them from toddling into every fire any hill? Stressful!
5. Swimming Pools
They are so much fun and a great way to cool off. However, I am terrified to my kids drowning. I count to four over and over the whole time we are at the pool. I leave there counting to myself. They might admit me.
6. Sunscreen
Not only do the stores think it is white gold, but it also doesn't magically disappear when you come inside. I feel like it leaves a greasy film on everything. I also have to give nightly baths when every other night does just fine in the winter. Baths are for the birds . . . right along with those early mornings!
7. Sunglasses
Little head, need kid-sized glasses, don't want Dora on them, forced to by adult sunglasses, look like a dummy. That's the gist of the problem.
Well, now Danny tells me I sound too negative. So . . . I love summer and sunburns and sweating and mosquitoes! Better? ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment