I am so excited to now be a mommy of four handsome and precious little boys. We welcomed Benaiah Daniel Melin to the world on February 11, 2013 at 4:02 in the afternoon. He weighed 7 lbs 3 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. He is absolutely adorable and has the biggest feet!
We went into the hospital for the induction on Sunday night. Monday was the first day to schedule an induction and it also happened to be Jonah's birthday. So, along with the fifty other bags we had packed, we also packed a small present for Jonah to open when he came to visit. The night was uneventful. I had asked if I could get up at 5 the next morning to take a shower. The nurse said that was the plan and that she would come get me up. Well, I was awake by 4:50 ready to start the day. Danny wasn't so enthusiastic. What? That couch bed wasn't the most comfortable thing ever and the constant beeping didn't just lull you right to dreamland? So, I took it upon myself to disconnect all my monitors and get in the shower. I think I might be a veteran :D A few minutes into my shower Danny comes in and says to make it snappy because the nurse found out I wasn't suppose to be off the monitors for 4 hours and was going to count this as a long potty break! She was going to come in and tell me in the morning and hadn't counted on me getting up so early. I rushed back to my bed with my hair still in a towel so I could get back on those monitors. Thankfully I have curly hair and I can do it laying in bed. I was also thankful I was a renegade shower taker because otherwise I wouldn't have gotten one!
The doctor came in to visit but couldn't break my water. He said he would be back at lunch. Woohoo! What to do for four hours? Well, my daytime nurse came in to ask me if I minded if a male nursing student came in the room. Do I mind??? I have had a baby before. I think for the twins there were 59 people in the room. Come on in! The more the merrier! Lucky for him because we were the only patients that said yes. Turns out he was from North Georgia and was commissioning. He spent the morning in our room chatting with Danny. It was a great distraction.
The other task of the morning . . . getting the worst epidural of my life! Okay, so I haven't had that many, but out of 3 this was the worst. My epidural with Jonah left a hot spot and I couldn't feel my legs. My epidural with the twins was wonderful. I could move about and feel everything but my contractions - the whole point of an epidural! This time I could feel everything but my legs which I couldn't feel until 8 hours after it was taken out.
When the doctor came back I was 3 1/2 cm. He ordered pitocin and said we would have a baby by dinnertime. Good thing because my mom "forgot" to bring my biscuit when she brought Danny's, and Danny didn't remember to get me lunch when he got his! They starved me all day long! I was beyond hungry!
Around 3:00 I told Danny that I felt funny. He got the nurse and she said I was 7cm and to call her if I felt any different later on. Twenty minutes later Danny asked me what was wrong. Gotta love a man who can read every look on your face. I told him I did feel different but not to get the nurse because it had only been twenty minutes and she would think I was a crazy pregnant lady. He went anyway - and who was I to stop him with my legs all numb? She came back and said we were ready to have a baby!!! The doctor was called and then . . . everyone but the male nurse and Danny left the room. I warned them that I don't fool around getting babies out, but no one listened. Once the doctor arrived it took one contraction and Benaiah was here! Told ya I don't fool around.
A boy! The first person we called was Jonah:
Us: Your baby is here!
Jonah: Is it a brother or sister?
Us: A brother!
(Long pause, deep sigh)
Jonah: But I wanted a sister!
Poor guy!
We named him Benaiah but had the hardest time finding a middle name. I never wanted to have a "junior" so when Danny offered up Daniel I was surprised. However it is perfect! During this year when things are difficult, lonely, or sad I can look down to see a little part of Danny in my arms. I also have come to think that Danny beyond deserves a namesake. He is a wonderful role model to our boys of what it means to be a godly husband, father, and man of God.
Oh, then they finally fed me. The meal I get every time: Cocoa Puffs and a big bowl and fruit! They brought me two of each. I must have not only felt hungry but looked hungry too!
The next day my three big boys came to visit. Jonah was stand-offish at first because he wanted a sister but then he held him and decided we could keep him :) We couldn't keep Eli off Benaiah. He kept pointing to his eyes and nose, waving and saying "Hey baby", and saying "Cute!" with a cute grin of his own. Huxton couldn't of cared less. He was more interested in the graham crackers the nurses had brought the night before.
I also got my first picture of all my boys together! So much love on that couch! Can you tell Danny is one proud Daddy?
We headed home late Tuesday night so that we would have two full days together before Danny had to leave. It felt so good the first time I could look around and see my whole family together (even if I was wearing a fireman's hat in day-old pajamas). And knowing that it wouldn't last long made it all the more special. I am blessed beyond all I could ever imagine in my wonderful husband and four sweet boys. My God is soooo good!
No comments:
Post a Comment