Tuesday, November 27, 2012

From One Holiday to Another :D

I soooo enjoyed the past week!  I hated to see Monday come again.  Thanksgiving was relaxing and full of tons of family time.  I think I was a bit spoiled!  However, not too many more days until Christmas when I will get Danny home even more!

Today I thought I would share some of the Thanksgiving events and some of the plans I have to celebrate Christmas.  First, a cute picture of my little turkeys to get you in the spirit!



Thanksgiving morning we got up and made pumpkin muffins.  I got this recipe from my momma.  It is super easy and only takes two ingredients - of course, I added more to make them even better (but not better for you).  :D  You mix together one box of spice cake mix (I knew there had to be a use for that stuff.) and one can of pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling - just plain old pumpkin.  Mixing this together will not make your arm fall off but you will come pretty close.  It is dense!  Then I threw in dried cranberries and chocolate chips.  Throw it in muffin tins and into the oven it goes on 400 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean.  Not only do they taste delicious, they make the whole house smell like fall.  Perfect for Thanksgiving morning!

Next, we all cuddled up to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.  This did not last long because we can't sit still that long.  We finally made it through.  Highlights from Jonah: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which he only knows from the Toys R' Us magazine), the Mickey balloon, and the Dora float.

We spent the rest of the afternoon playing outside and getting dinner ready.  The boys had extra fun because there was an extra playmate - Uncle Ronnie!  In his honor (and because we are having Thanksgiving food again this week) I put a Latin twist on some of the dishes.  He had given me a cookbook which is where I got the inspiration, but since I can't link to a cookbook I found the recipes online in case you want to try them. 

Chilied Corn - http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/savorysides/r/cornwithchile.htm

Camote - http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/sidedishes/r/camote.htm

I also tried boiled peanuts in the crock pot - success!  Although, it took longer for them to get tender than the recipe said.

So, now I look forward to continuing and starting Christmas traditions with my little family of wild boys.  I love Christmas!  However, it just doesn't feel right celebrating Christmas when December is not even upon us.  It seems to me that the time between Thanksgiving and December 1st has been super long this year.  Maybe if we go ahead and start December will come faster. ;)

One tradition that I love (mostly because I am a mommy of three cutie boys) is our tree skirt.  I started it when Jonah celebrated his first Christmas.  Each year we add on hands.  Here is what it looks like this year!


Being a former school teacher I also have plenty of Christmas books.  I wrapped 24 of them with last year's left over wrapping paper.  Now the boys can fight over who gets to open that days book . . . I mean . . . now the boys can open a book each day for us to enjoy reading together.  Also, because I love to be educational, each wrapped book has a shape, number, or letter written on it for Jonah to find.  For example, "Today's book has a rectangle. Can you find the book with the rectangle?"  I know, takes all the fun out of it.

I was also introduced to Jesse's Tree this year.  It is a daily advent that starts on December.  Each day has a Bible story with a corresponding ornament.  The Bible stories trace the promise of Christ through the Old Testament.  I am super excited.  The ladies at our PWOC all chose an ornament to make 38 of and then we are trading so everyone has a complete set!  I will let you know how it goes!

Of course our Christmas tree is up - with a gate around it.  Even with the gate the score is Twins - 3 Ornaments - 0.  Hopefully there will be some left for next year!


Now I must go and eat some more sweets.  Tomorrow is my glucose test.  Just in case I fail I need to get in enough chocolate to last me for the rest of Christmas!  Hee hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment