Friday, December 7, 2012

Not As Wonderful As It Sounds

So, tonight was my very first official military ball.  I wasn't super excited about it because I am HUGE so that makes dressing up more of a chore and I can't even middle school slow dance because I have to stand two feet from Danny.  However, I squeezed into a dress and we were on our way.

We arrive and Danny notices that everyone is in a bow tie.  He is wearing neck tie.  Apparently they want everyone to match - who knew?  At this point we are 30 minutes early for the receiving line, so we have time to find a bow tie.  We are thirty minutes from home, so going home won't work.  We decide to hit up the closest Walmart.  Thankfully we have a GPS to tell us where the closest Walmart is.  Danny runs into the store only to find they had just run out of bow ties.  I guess EVERYONE was needing a bow tie seeing as how they are soooo popular.  After trying three other stores (all shown to us by the GPS) we find a bow tie at Kohl's.  Unfortunately, it is NOT a clip on.  It is the kind you have to tie.  So, I called the only person I know who I knew would know how to tie a bow tie . . . my sister.  After explaining that we are not near a computer and that we are over an hour late for the ball, she walks me through step-by-step of how to tie this thing.  It is suppose to be around the man's neck when you are tying it but since Danny was driving I didn't think that was too smart.  So, I hike my leg up onto the dash and tie it around my leg.  I figured if I could tie it around my leg then I could remember how to do that and tie it around Danny's neck.  Not so. :/  Danny's calls a friend to see if he can tie it.  It turns out this friend is leaving the ball because he just came to meet and greet, so Danny can use his tie.  PLUS we can return the new tie.  Woohoo! 

I am ready to just go home because at this point we are way late and I will be so embarrassed to walk in at this late hour.  Surprise!  We get there to find that everything is running behind, and they are just starting the receiving line.  The good Lord knew I couldn't stand in heels for 2 hours and that is exactly what this bow tie hunt saved me from.

We find our table.  I was hoping to be seated with some of Danny's friends.  Nope.  We are seating with Mr. Ed, a man who is super excited about the Army and tells us his stories from when he served years ago, and a couple that is not even 21 and very excited about the free wine on the table.  It was interesting to say the least.

So, there you have it.  My first military ball!  Believe me - it was unforgettable.  :D

1 comment:

  1. Poor thing. This doesn't help when your hormones are out of whack also. :-( At least you don't have to do that often. :-) Love you.

    ReplyDelete