Happy Memorial Day! This Memorial Day weekend was particularly special for me. It marked the end of our journey at Northlake and the beginning of our journey into the active duty Army as a Chaplain family.
We almost didn't make it to church on our last Sunday because . . . guess what! Someone was sick! This time it happened to be Jonah. It actually worked out for the good because all the chaos kept my mind off the fact that I was going to have to say goodbye - plus I had extra time to make monkey bread which I happen to love. Sunday night was a milestone for Danny. The church held a commissioning service for him during which he took the Oath of Office as a Captain. The oath was given by Col. Pyott who also commissioned Danny when he became a Second Lieutenant right out of college. I got to pin on his crosses, so now he is all blinged up and ready to go! That service reminded me of what a loving church family we have. Both praise teams showed up and sang our favorite songs (even one they had never heard before). They had a delicious reception where everyone said such kind and encouraging words. We were surrounded by love, and I really never wanted it to end.
The next morning we ran in a 5K with Danny's dad, mom, and brother. It was only the second 5K I have run for time. I walked a few with the stroller, but this time Mr. Ron volunteered to run with the stroller, so we could see how fast we could go. Jason and I decided to run together since we keep pretty much the same pace. By the way, I love that guy. He shares my same love for. . . particulars? My goal was sub 24, but when I rounded the corner and saw the clock just ticking to 23 minutes I was stoked! I got a personal best of 23:09 and placed second in my age group! Danny got 2nd in his age group too (but with a much faster time). Mr. Ron got the joy of everyone cheering him on since he was the main attraction with our hummer of a stroller.
After the race there was a parade complete with horses, motorcycles, tractors, "oooga" cars, karate men, floats, and marching bands. Who loved the parade? JONAH! He got so tickled at the horse in a "dress" and then got scared when a little 3 year old boy came up and yelled "Hi-ya!" complete with a karate chop. His favorite part . . . the candy! I think he managed to talk us into four Dum-Dums. In the middle of the parade, there was a soldier-like formation of people carrying signs. It made me cry when I realized they were holding signs of each Georgian who has been killed in action over the last 10 years. No one watching the parade could forget the sacrifice or the reason for the holiday. Amazing memorial!
After the parade we went back for a cook-out lunch and then on to see my family. It was such an enjoyable weekend that we will never forget.
Now, back to packing . . . T-3 days until we pull out for North Carolina!
No comments:
Post a Comment