Friday, July 31, 2015

Traipsing About Tennessee - Part 4

What a week of fun we have had!  I looked at Danny and said, "I believe it is Friday.  I wish we had more time!"  To which he replied, "Good thing it is Thursday!"  Yay!

Thursday we were all moving kinda slowly.  We went to a playground on base for a playgroup.  The boys made good friends and built a huge camp fire.  Too bad we didn't have any marshmallows . . . or fire :)  Then we headed to the library. My children are like me in that they love books and could spend all day here.  It takes no less than 30 minutes to narrow down their choices to a load I can carry home.  It was almost lunchtime and we still needed to buy groceries.  Low and behold, it was 101st Days.  I don't know anything about it except the library serves fruit, Chex mix, and cake.  We all had a fruit snack to hold us over.  Thank God for the little ways he smiles on us!

After grocery shopping, we spent the afternoon together making more memories.  We had picked up a packaged mix for Shoo Fly Pie.  I had convinced the boys they needed to catch flies so we could make it.  The only one brave enough to help was Huck, my little chef.  He is still convinced the molasses was fly syrup.  :)

My cute helper!


Huck said this is his "chef smile".


We also met new neighbors!  I don't think anyone wanted to come inside for dinner.  The shoo fly pie received rave reviews.  "This is the best stuff I have ever put in my mouth!" - Jonah




Friday we went to Land Between the Lakes.  We had heard great things, but I think we missed something.  Either that, or we are spoiled by our sweet North Georgia mountains!  We hiked about 3 1/2 mosquito-y miles around a lake.  It was flat which was nice on such a hot day.  We found a beaver dam the lake and we could hear the beavers inside!  We also spotted a good number deer but our crew was pretty loud and kept scaring them off.  Eli kept spotting the cutest little frogs!  It was pretty swampy but, we were together and had a great picnic when we were finished. I had also let the boys make their own trail mix. Big win for Mom!  These boys love to picnic.  I need some new picnic friendly meals.  It is hard to keep things cool for long in this heat - even with a good cooler.

Off we go!

The beaver dam!

Found a chair!

Benaiah had to rest too!

Goofy Huck!



She stays entertained watching her brothers hike!





There was also I stop where you could ride a 3 mile loop and see elk and bison.  Most were in the tree line but one big guy did come out to say hello!


Too bad today really was Friday :(  That means we better fill Saturday and Sunday up to the brim with fun activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment