This past weekend just so happened to be my birthday! While most adults hate their birthdays (because they have a way of coming around EVERY year), I happen to LOVE my birthday. Some say it is only because I am 26, but I think I will still love my birthday when I am 96. I actually try to make the whole week my birthday week, and until I have a baby in March, I try to make it my birthday month as well.
Anyway, this year I decided to run a half-marathon for my birthday. Yes, running on my birthday. I started running back in the winter with a fabulous group of ladies, and I wanted to run a half-marathon as a way to prove to myself that I could be a "runner". (By the way, how much do you have to run to be a "runner"?) I didn't tell anyone I was going to run just in case I died on the side of the road and never made it to the finish line. I drug Danny along with me to talk to me and keep me distracted the whole way. He was a great partner . . . maybe he did have a little too much energy and his hooping and hollering might have been a tad obnoxious to the other runners, but he was perfect for me!
So, after running the 13.1 miles I have to say . . . I am addicted! I would run another one this weekend if I didn't have a garage and attic to clean out :/ There is just something about all those people coming out to run - everyone running for a different reason. Yeah, some people are there to be the fastest, but others are there because they just battled cancer or they finally reached a weight loss goal or they want to prove to themselves they are stronger than they believed. It was inspiring! That brings me to my new goal - a marathon! I think I will wait and get settled in our new local before setting a goal of when to run this marathon, but I think it is safe to say I will run it before my 30th birthday :) (Will I ever be that old? Scary thought!)
The run was not the only wonderful thing about my special day. Right before the run Danny gives me one of my presents. I open a small bag with a passport and tickets for a CRUISE! I was stoked! This is our first cruise and I don't even have to wait very long to go - we leave in less than two weeks!
My day had a terrific ending, too! My fabulous mother made all of my favorite foods (including apple cranberry crisp which is to die for) for dinner and I got to share it with all the people I love most!
Other highlights of my birthday WEEK:
- The lady at the glasses store broke my glasses while trying to adjust them, so I got a new pair for free!
- Jonah learned to swim with water wings! He wore himself out at the pool. That boy does love his independence.
- Huxton stood without holding anything for a full 10 seconds before falling back on his bottom! He will be walking soon!
- After hearing one of those singing cards, Jonah sang "Shake Your Booty" to an elderly lady in the Target checkout line. How embarrassing!
Well, time to go make the most of my time as the birthday girl of the month!
No comments:
Post a Comment