Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Hmmm . . . Be Strong

Right now we are in the middle of a move.  Boxes are everywhere, what I need is packed, and what I wish my kiddos couldn't get to is still available.  At moments we have a lot of fun on this adventure, but then there are moments where I want to throw  my hands up and just say, "Whatever!  I give up.  Throw everything in a box - pillows with crystal - I don't care."  Then, I take a deep breath and think maybe that might be a mess to clean up.

As I was reading this morning I came across the phrase "be strong".  This particular passage was 2 Samuel 2, but it got me curious as to how many times people are told to be strong in the Bible.  After a quick search I found over twenty!  Why would we need this exhortation so often? Be strong!  In the OT most of the time the person/people being instructed is not someone you would think to need that bit of advice.  You find warriors, leaders, God's people that had been assured of victory.  Nevertheless, God continued to remind them of the strength they needed to muster for the battle or task at hand.  However, moving to the NT we are told to be strong.  One of my favorites was 1 Corinthians 15:58 - So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable.  always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is useless.  

Why?  Why would God, like a coach, need to remind us so many times.  I think the answer is two fold.  First, because we aren't strong.  Left to ourselves we are weak.  Our natural tendency is to bend or break.  When the pressure is on we are too quick to give up and give in.  It is so much easier that way!  You don't have to stand up to anyone, exert extra effort, or go out of your comfort zone.  Secondly, we are told to be strong because when we seek to be strong we are driven to the source of strength - Our Savior!  We find that even our best laid plans and efforts still fall short and leave us exhausted.  We are told to be strong but also to abide in the Rock, our strength.

My favorite passage during my search was 1 Chronicles 28:10.  Go ahead - look it up.  My thoughts?  I might not be building the house of God but I am helping to build five little tabernacles in hopes that they will one day house the Holy Spirit.  For that reason I have to "Be strong, and do the work!"

So, when I want to cave and let the disciplines of life slip - when I want to turn a blind eye to the child sneaking a sucker or hit the snooze and forego my quiet time until "later" - I need to hear those words.  Be Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment