Saturday, March 14, 2015

Late Night Date Night

I love life with all my wild things!  There is always fun to be had and lots of noise.  I make every effort each day to spend one-on-one time with each child.  Maybe coloring with Eli, reading with Benaiah, playing ball with Jonah, singing with Jules, or playing trucks with Huck.  But, I will just be honest, five minutes into any activity and I get interrupted.  A diaper needs to be changed, someone bonked his head, a nose bleed, a spill . . . you get the picture.  I desired more time discovering what makes each of my little ones special and making them feel loved in a special way.  So, I got to thinking - dangerous with my lack of sleep - and here is the result.

Introducing: 
Late Night Date Night!

After all his siblings are in bed, one boy gets to stay up an extra 30ish minutes (I'm a big softy and it has turned into an hour on occasion) doing whatever activity he chooses.  Danny and I spend the time playing and talking with him.  It has turned into the most precious and coveted time.

Jumpin' Monkeys and Jonah is GOOD!
Every big boy loves pattern blocks!
When we are alone with one boy it allows him to shine.  We see their strengths and sometimes a character trait that might need work (but who likes to lose a board game?)  We get to talk to them about what they have enjoyed recently or what they are looking forward to.  It is interesting to see which boys will talk and talk and which are just content to sit with you.

Painting with Benaiah!
They each have a special marker on the calendar we use for school.  They mark their nights and count down the days while making plans.  Such excitement!  They even get excited for each other!

Huck - always wins every game.
The first couple of date nights we had tears when the time came to an end.  They had so much planned and so little time.  Five puzzles and a round of Hi Ho Cherrio just wasn't long enough.  However, now that they realize their turn will come again they skip off to bed with smiles.

Go Fish with Eli!
Playing catch!
They never choose the same things - except Huck who ALWAYS plays Candyland.  Benaiah loves to play play dough and slide.  Eli likes board games and hide and seek.  Jonah has gone on walks around the neighborhood in the rain and has even gone to be the assistant coach at one of Danny's late basketball games.  Each date night usually ends with a tickle war, too ;)


I love our Late Night Date Nights and hope they last for many years to come.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment