Thursday, October 23, 2014

Welcome, Juliet!


Welcome to the world, Juliet!  Even with months of preparation, nothing could have prepared us for how precious you are! 



Thursday I went to the doctor for a routine visit and barely made it out with out being sent straight up to labor and delivery.  After weeks of measuring right on she all of a sudden was measuring very small.  They confirmed with ultrasound that she was going to be smaller, but that her abdomen was especially small.  That fact combined with the Fifth’s Disease I had during the beginning of pregnancy increased her risk of stillbirth.  However, she was wiggly and had good blood flow.  An induction was scheduled for the following Tuesday. 

Talk about getting no sleep!  I would lie awake just to make sure she was kicking.  Then during the day I didn’t waste a second of the time I had with my boys before our house got a little pink.

Tuesday morning I called at 5:30 to check on bed availability.  We were told to come in at 10.  By noon I was started on Pitocin.  Not too bad since I was actually going into labor the minute I walked in the door.  



It was slow going, and I was so tired by midnight that I asked for an epidural.  At 2 in the morning I was still only at 4-5 centimeters.  Then, around 2:40 I called the nurse in because Juliet had come off the heartbeat monitor.  She kept trying to find her heartbeat and just couldn’t.  She pulled the sheet down to try a new spot when – SURPRISE!  Juliet (her whole little self) was just lying on the bed under the covers.  I got to hold her right away.  




She had just delivered herself!  In the room rushed all the doctors and other nurses, but she was just hunky dory.  Juliet Ember Melin arrived 2:42 am weighing 6 pounds 2 ounces and measuring 19 ½ inches long.

After I finally gave her up Danny got to hold her.  He is over the moon excited about having a little girl!



The next day I got the best gift – all my boys came to meet their baby sister!  Jonah, Eli, and Huck all wanted to hold her.  

Benaiah came straight to my lap :D

Already learning to "roar".

Eli so happy to see Juliet that he didn't even notice she spit up!




Benaiah wanted to give her fives and “love” on her – which really means try to lay on her.  I’ll have to watch that one like a hawk.  


The doctor even let the boys help check her out!



Then, I got a picture with my mom and Juliet.  Pretty soon we will be able to take a four-generation picture with Maw.



Side note:  So thankful for these two:


Not only did they come and take care of and love on the boys (which made me rest a little easier), but they brought frozen meals for after they left.  Love them both so much!  Oh, and if you ever want something from Papa make Juliet ask for it.  She already has him wrapped around her finger!

One long night in the hospital and we were headed home!  Remind me never to leave for more than a few hours.  When we got home the boys had so many things to tell and show me.  A little overwhelming but my heart was so full!




She is already such a joy!  She likes to lay on her tummy on my chest and, like all babies, sleep.  She has a head full of dark hair like her daddy.  She likes to be swaddled and suck on her hands.  She squeaks when she cries - and when she is happy.  I can’t wait to watch her grow.  I pray that she will be a woman that fears the Lord and loves Him with a passion like no other! Now to get a nap!

Did I say nap?  I meant, who can stop looking at this precious thing?  Here are a few more to hold you over while I sleep :D






2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! She is just beautiful and I LOVE the name! And what a L&D story that is! Can hardly believe that she delivered herself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. God IS so good!! He has given you another life to hold, train, and enjoy. May HE continue to bless your family, Carly and Danny. What a treasure and privilege your gift is to all of us. Juliet is so beautiful. I enjoyed hearing the details of her birth - makes her a little miracle right from the start. Love to all from both of us. Uncle Squint already has "something" for her!!!

    ReplyDelete