Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. ~ Ephesians 3:20-21
Here we are five months into the year (Five months? Whoa!) and I am holding strong to my New Year's resolution to be a prayer warrior for my family. I can't afford not to! If this is what my life is like with prayer, I would hate to see what would happen if I stopped! I am kidding, but I can't lie, some days are like that.
To keep myself accountable and to have recorded prayers to look back on I keep a prayer journal. However, with four boys around it is impossible to stop at every moment of the day and write down a prayer. So, I spend time each night/morning in my prayer journal and the rest of the day runs off "popcorn prayers". They pop up to him while I am trying to keep my patience with Eli (the prime example of a two-year old) or when I see a helicopter and say a quick prayer for traveling mercies for Danny. They pop up while I explain to Jonah for the thousandth time why so-and-so can watch such-and-such and he can't or when Benaiah is up for the fifth time in six hours. To tell you the truth they pop up all the time. It is constant communication - my literal life line - to the Father. If there goes a day when I decide to go it on my own you will find an exhausted, overwhelmed, frustrated momma with four cranky, whiny, moody boys.
And my God does not disappoint. Since I started really focusing on my prayer life I have seen my God do awesome work in the life of my family. I am not saying that He always answers my prayers the way I wish he would, but He is always faithful to answer. I have a thousand stories to tell, but I will just share a few now.
The first amazing work happened before Danny even left. Actually, it happened last year right after we found out Danny was deploying and Benaiah was coming. Danny was scheduled to leave in January and would miss the baby's birth. When he went to tell the commander we were expecting, he was surprised by the offer to stay home for an extra month to meet our new addition. When does that ever happen? Little did we know, I man at my mom's church was praying for exactly that!
A month or so after Danny left I was writing in my prayer journal and I felt prompted to ask God specifically to give Danny the opportunity to lead someone to a relationship with the Lord. That night the boys and I were up all night with the stomach bug. It was brutal! The next morning I get a call from Danny. He just had to share something with me. While I was - well, you know - he was sharing Christ with a fellow soldier who accepted Christ as his Savior! Wow! Talk about quick answers!
Another day I wrote in my prayer journal asking God to give Danny a special blessing. That very day Danny had a series of emails about mercy with a soldier for whom we have been praying. It was a glimpse that God is working on his heart. It definitely blessed Danny - and me too!
The Sunday after Easter I prayed asking God to prick the hearts of the many that attended Easter chapel with a desire to come back again. When a regular crowd is 40-45 they had 60 or so people in the chapel service that morning hearing the Word of God preached and praising through music!
Countless times Danny and I have partnered in prayer over the boys when one seems to be having a hard time obeying or having a positive attitude toward his siblings. Unfortunately, the answers don't come over night with these prayers, but I have seen heart changes in each of my boys when I have reached the end of my parenting rope. Once again - the power of prayer.
More often than not I am praying for patience and a godly attitude so I can be the role model that I need to be for my boys. The days when I set my mind on Him seem to go so smoothly, and even if they don't I have the strength to roll with the punches.
These faith stretching exercises in prayer have changed the way I pray. I no longer pray expecting God to work - I pray expecting God to do immeasurably more! I wonder why I am surprised when He does; that is his business after all. But, I never want the wonder of my God to wear off. I want to live each day amazed at Him because He is amazing.
Immeasurably more is funny though. When I think "immeasurably more" I think of a glass of water that is full and God keeps pouring the water in until it is flowing out of the cup, onto the table, and pooling on the floor. But, when God thinks "immeasurably more" He sometimes takes my glass of water, pours it out, and fills it with chocolate milk until it is flowing out of the cup, onto the table, and pooling on the floor. When I think I need water God knows I need chocolate milk. And His plan is sweeter, right?
I never want to forget all of these amazing circumstances and I hope my boys see God at work in our lives, too. I know I try my best to point out where God is working and answering prayers. One day I can tell them these stories - my stories - of God faithfulness. My prayer is that God will be glorified "throughout all generations, for ever and ever."
I hope to share some more awesome stories of how God is at work really soon, but until then, keep up your prayers for us and your own family because my God can do immeasurably more!
No comments:
Post a Comment