Thursday, January 3, 2013

Resolution Revelation

As a student I always dreaded the first day back after Christmas break.  It was inevitable.  I was going to be asked to write a journal entry on my New Year's resolutions.  Some how they didn't get the message that I was already perfect and didn't need to work on anything ;)  So, every year I wrote the same one - This year I am going to be nicer to my sister. 

As I have grown, I have given up on being nicer to my sister - just kidding.  But, I have at least made some different resolutions.  I come up with them from several places.

1. I find something I don't like about myself and make a resolution to change it.
2. I find something I like about someone else and make a resolution to develop that character trait/habit/skill.
3. I hear a sermon or read about a great idea and decide that if I can't think of anything better then I will make a resolution to do that.

And so it went every year.  Now, I know some people don't make resolutions because they know they won't keep them.  I have a different view.  Even if I failed I tried.  For example, memorize a Bible verse a week - even if I don't make it but three weeks I know three more than I did.  Or don't eat chocolate - at least I went a few days before I ate all the chocolate I could find :D  Other people don't make resolutions because they think that you could make those changes anytime.  Which you could.

This year I had a revelation.  (I chose the word revelation because it was a alliteration with resolution - like?)  My way of coming up with resolutions was terrible on so many levels.  First, if I was going to succeed at keeping any resolution it would have to be through God's strength and power.  There was no way that I could keep up any routine even on my worst days and also keep a positive, joyful attitude.  Secondly, if I was depending on God to help me become like someone else or fix something I didn't like about myself I was out of luck.  He made me ME, and He wants to help me change to be more like him, not more like Mrs. So-and-So.  This revelation might be a big "duh" to you, but I can be a slow learner. 

I can't say that I was excited to find out what God had for me this up-coming year.  After all, my resolution was going to be survival.  What else could I stack on top of moving, a deployment, and a new baby?  However, God is faithful and he gave me a resolution that I would never have chosen: be a prayer warrior for my family. Thankfully he didn't ask me to write a book or potty train the twins. (He knows that will take a miracle - and lots of patience.)  He asked me to pray.  It is perfect and the most powerful thing I can do for my family this year.  Not only can I do it while changing diapers and playing Mr. Potato Head, but I can also do it during the quiet times when the kiddos are in bed and I would usually be talking to Danny.  I can talk to my Father.  I am sure He will use my time in prayer to help me just as much as He will use it to help others. 

So, here's to 2013!  I am so excited to see what God has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment