Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Relaxing Sunday Afternoon . . . in the ER

Realizing I am so far behind on blog posts, I was planning on sitting down this afternoon to write about Father's Day and our trip to the beach . . . Danny had other plans.

My family had just left on the long ride back the Georgia.  (We had a FABULOUS weekend, by the way!)  The boys were down for a nap, so Danny decided he would get some things done.  When we first moved here we bought a spin bike so I could exercise while Danny was gone (since I can't run with our big ole stroller and my heavy boys).  The bike arrived on our front step BROKEN!  We called the company and they sent some parts to try replacing ourselves before they sent a technician.  Danny wasn't sure they had sent the right parts so he tried to feel what might be making the weird noises.  Next thing I know Danny yells.  He thought he had just pinched his finger, but when he looked down the tip of his finger was missing!  Blood was squirting and he couldn't even feel his finger.  He grabbed a towel and started putting pressure on it. 

I started going crazy!  All these things were racing through my mind: How do I get to the hospital?  Who can keep the kids?  Will Danny have to go alone?  Will they be able to fix his finger?  Will he bleed to death? 

I called 911 not knowing if I could get a sitter right away and knowing Danny needed to get to the emergency room.  They told me to get the finger tip and put it in a clean plastic bag, to put pressure on the wound, and to not leave Danny until help arrived.  Now I never disobey directions - but I ran to the car to get his ID and wallet.  Then I ran to the neighbors to see if he could watch the kids until I could find a sitter.  He agreed and a friend of mine found some help for me to watch the boys.  Sooooooo, I called 911 back and cancelled the ambulance. I could drive Danny myself - right?   Bad idea!  I didn't know how to get to the hospital so Danny was giving me directions.  Then he starts turning white on me.  He was about to pass out!  I couldn't find my way to the hospital, keep pressure on the wound, AND drive!  SO, I call 911 for the third time.  They sent the ambulance to meet us on the side of the road.  They loaded him up and off we went to the emergency room.  By the time I got to see Danny again he was drugged up on morphine.  If you think he talks a lot you should have heard him on meds!  He was chattin' it up! 

They had a hand specialist "on hand" (ha ha) that was able to look at the finger and make some decisions.  Danny had cut through bone but still had part of his nail.  The doctor told us they couldn't reattach the finger.  Danny would get some special foil on his finger to help the nail bed.  Then, we would do bandages until it healed over itself.  "How long will that take?" I asked.  SIX TO TEN MONTHS! 

Now Danny has never been a patient so we didn't know how meds would work on him.  They began working on Danny but he could still feel everything despite the medication they had injected.  Being the kindhearted doctors they are they injected more medication. He could still feel it!  After they had given him all the numbing medicine they could inject (and his finger was so full of the stuff it could pass for a sausage) they decided he was just going to have to bite the bullet.  They gave him more pain meds through his IV and went to work.  It was painful to watch.  Then the IV meds made him feel so sick. 

When they finally finished and Danny was all bandaged, we still couldn't believe what had happened.  I am so thankful that we have made some friends here that are willing to step up and take care of our kids just like we have been friends for years.  I am glad I have a husband who tries to stay positive through it all. I am glad we had doctors who knew the best way to handle this situation.  And I will be glad when this life at Fort Bragg resembles anything close to normal!  Please pray for Danny as he heals and deals with all the pain and inconveniences this will bring. 

2 comments:

  1. I say send the spin cycle company the hospital bill PLUS pain and suffering!!! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Christy!! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete