Monday, July 14, 2014

Power of Prayer Partners!

After I walked down the aisle almost seven years ago, I found myself torn.  I felt called to missions  . . . you know, MISSIONS, where you give up everything and travel far away to reach those lost people on the other side of the globe. . . and here I was marrying an Army man.  The Army - I knew nothing about.  In my mind I had to give up my calling to follow his.  Little did I know that the chaplaincy would turn out to be the biggest mission field I have ever entered!  Thousands of lost soldiers and their families hurting and searching for truth, love, and ultimately Jesus!

We have been so blessed by our ministry at Fort Bragg.  Danny currently works with the soldiers of the 519th Military Intelligence Battalion.  He spends his days visiting soldiers, counseling, prepping sermons, counseling, leading physical training with Spiritual Fitness, counseling, planning worship music for chapel, and, oh, counseling.  :D  But the ministry is not just Danny's - it is a family ministry.  So, whether we are in the neighborhood making friends on the playground, taking meals to those leaving the hospital with babies or bruises, visiting the library or grocery store and sharing a smile, or going to a meeting of some sort we try to point our conversations to Jesus.

This year we were blessed to be featured on one of the Southern Baptist Convention's "baseball cards".  Danny's card was one of 50 or so that were sent to every church in the SBC.  These cards were an effort to increase awareness of the chaplaincy and to ask for prayer.  However, these churches didn't just hand them out and use them to jot down grocery lists during the sermon.  They PRAYED!  We have been receiving dozens of cards and emails telling us about our prayer warriors all over the country.  So far we have received cards and emails from over 20 states.

This is the map we colored in.  The boys did a pretty good job I think ;)

We have been saving them until Bible time with the boys.  We read the card and then pray for the sender in return.  The boys are so excited to find cards in the mailbox and now yell, "More people are praying for us!"  It thrills my heart to know I am not alone in praying for my husband as he ministers.  There is a little girl in Vermont, a women's group in Texas, and a pastor in Georgia who are joining me.


We are so thankful for the prayer partners who have lifted up prayers on our behalf.  The results have been overwhelming.  We have seen an explosion of opportunities to have spiritual conversations.  Danny has soldiers wanting to talk to him about their marriages and relationship with God.  I have ladies that find out I am the chaplains wife and feel compelled (even if they just met me) to tell me why they haven't been in church or what they are learning in their own personal time with God.  The music ministry at our chapel was a worry at the beginning of the year as most of our musicians were moving this spring and summer.  Despite the transient population at the chapel we have not gone a week without any instrument.  A drummer comes when a drummer goes, a pianist volunteers right after another leaves.  It has been amazing to worship with this group and minister alongside and to them.

The most beautiful aspect of it all is witnessing God's body at work.  Each of us plays a special role.  Some go, some serve, some pray, some encourage, some give, and some witness the powerful answering of prayers by our mighty God.  Since that last group holds my precious boys I am all the more thankful for those who have prayed.  I want them to have a heart for ministering to others so when they are older and are called to go or serve or pray they obey knowing their part in God's plan is essential.  Oh, to have the opportunity to partner with our Creator and Savior!  What a blessing!

My prayer is that this awareness of our chaplaincy won't end with these baseball cards.  I pray that my brothers and sisters continue to lift up the soldiers and those who minister to them.  There are so many souls lost and searching!  Thanks for the prayers and keep it up!



No comments:

Post a Comment